Peter Hyams’ Good, Bad, and Ugly!

Join Steve, Jon, Gabriel, and Andrew as they deconstruct a new filmmaker's body of work each and every week, as only high-falootin' Canadians can.

Peter Hyams’ Good, Bad, and Ugly!

Postby Mach6 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Good: The Relic - A Monster movie set in my hometown that knows what it is & gets the job done. A solid cast, some vicious kills, (that poor SWAT team member) & a great monster design. I saw it a few months ago on the premium channels & the CGI held up very well. Usually, CGI effects from the 90’s look horrible in HD, but not this time.

Bad: Sudden Death - The Die Hard ripoff had some moments (basically any scene that Powers Boothe is in) but the stupid crap far outweighs it. Till the day I die, I’ll always hate the obnoxious kids & the Van Damne impersonating the goalie scene.

Ugly: End of Days - Like Andrew said this has a horrible, convoluted script that makes no sense. Satan can stop handgun bullets but later on Arnold/Jericho’s rifle shots can hurt him. Gabriel (my only good performance in the last twenty years was Dean Keaton in The Usual Suspects) Byrne is once again sleepwalking & collecting a paycheck. The ending is a WTF! Was Satan capable of a quickie that lasted five seconds? A Sound of Thunder was pathetic but at least it had the excuse of financial & production problems of trying to film it during the floods in Prague. End of Days has no such excuses.

BTW, I disagree with Michael about Thunder being so bad it’s good. I can watch Maximum Overdrive a million times since it has a “fun bad” quality to it. Thunder takes itself too seriously so it comes off as “pathetic bad”. With the comparisons to Alien, I’m going to have to check out Outland one day.
Mach6
City Attorney

Re: Peter Hyams’ Good, Bad, and Ugly!

Postby Mitchell Hattaway » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:03 am

Good: Outland

Bad: 2010

Ugly: A Sound of Thunder/The Musketeer
Mitchell Hattaway
Judge (Retired)

Re: Peter Hyams’ Good, Bad, and Ugly!

Postby mavrach » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:37 am

Good: I guess Timecop??? I have fond memories of it, but i haven't seen it since high school and I can't guarantee that it would pass the adulthood test.

Bad: The Relic - Fun overall but a little long for a campy monster movie. It almost wants to be serious but could benefit from a brisker pace.

Ugly: End of Days - I saw it in the theatre still holding out hope that Ahnuld could deliver a decent action flick, and considering the sweet synopsis (come on it's Arnold Vs. Satan) it should've been a much better movie.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Return to They Came From the North