Inconsiderate behaviour in the cinema

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Inconsiderate behaviour in the cinema

Postby Polynikes » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:56 pm

It is rare for me to get to the cinema, partly because the cost of taking the family is prohibitive, but mainly because too many UK cinema goers seem to spend their time giggling and chatting throughout a film, rustling food and sweet bags and making the place reek of burger and chips. The youngsters behind me on this occasion (when I took the family to see Skyfall) also left the largest collection of rubbish I have ever seen in a cinema (including spilled popcorn on the floor) for someone else to clean up. It really puts me off going. It is mildly annoying when it happens in an undemanding film like Skyfall, but seriously aggravating when it happens in a film in which I would like to immerse myself (talkers and eaters disrupted Little Dorrit and Agora when I saw these in the cinema).

Is it same beyond the shores of Great Britain?
Polynikes
City Attorney

Re: Inconsiderate behaviour in the cinema

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 pm

It varies by area but generally not AS bad. We have less food in our cinemas (hot dogs and pretzels are usually the "big meal") and people can leave a mess. That is cleaned by underpaid flunkies between screenings however so the end result is usually transparent to the viewers.

Talking is harder to judge. Where I live I don't see it as much. People can react a bit loudly however, such as inappropriate laughing and such.

the solution is simple however. Go to an early showing in a rural or suburban area on a Tuesday. You always get crowds who are like you avoiding the rude masses. It's an unwritten rule among cinema aficionados.

edit--

I'm assuming by burger and chips you mean what we call fries. Real food in a theatre? That's not common in the US at all. As I said above we get a choice of a hot dog, a big pretzel (sometimes, less common lately) or nachos and cheese. Beyond that popcorn and candy are the most common treat by an amazing margin.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Polynikes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:53 pm

"Chips" (UK) = ""Fries" (US). "Chips" (US) = "Crisps" (UK).

I was dwelling too much on my Skyfall experience when I mentioned burgers and "fries". Thinking about it, hot food is not as common as popcorn, drinks and sweets in the cinema. Still can't fathom what makes people pay good money to go to a cinema and then either leave halfway to get some refreshment (the hot food in this instance) or text/talk on their mobiles, despite an on screen reminder beforehand to switch off mobiles. Nor is the average British citizen so undernourished that he/she should not feel able to go for 2-3 hours without rustling bags of sweets, chomping popcorn or slurping buckets of fizzy drink. But as my son frequently reminds me, I am old-fashioned.

I agree that midweek afternoons are the best time to go if you want to watch a film undisturbed. When I was working shifts, that is exactly what I did, but not easy in my current employment, unfortunately, nor does it fit in with the rest of the family.

Our prices vary depending on time, day and location, but I estimate an average adult price in the UK is about £6 - £8 outside London, £8 - £11 in outer London, £10 -£15 at a top central London cinema, so it is no longer a cheap night out for the family, compared with buying a DVD. What do people pay in other countries?
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby azul017 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Here in my neck of the woods, we have a super-bargain matinee time -- where it's $5.50 for everyone ($8.50 if it's a 3D show). Otherwise, it's $9.25 for Friday & Saturday night shows, $8 for Sunday-Thursday night shows, $7 matinee shows from Sunday-Thursday. (Add in the $3 surcharge for any 3D movie showtimes.)

And the behavior problem does persist in the U.S., especially when it's a popular kids' movie or big blockbuster. (At times, I see parents bring in toddlers and babies in, which I despise.) In the small dramas or indie films, most of the audience members are very respectful. Being someone who does work as a doorperson (aka cleaning up theaters between showtimes), there are plenty of adults who are as messy or worse than families. It only takes a few seconds to throw your empty bag and cups in the trash can.

However, there is a great theater chain called the Alamo Drafthouse (mostly based in TX but is branching out in NY, San Francisco and VA) where the company has a zero tolerance policy for no talking or texting during the movie, only adults over 18 are let in (children are allowed, but must have parents with 'em), they serve food before the show starts, and it's universally praised as the best theater chain in the U.S.. If you manage to travel to the U.S., make sure you go to a location that has the Drafthouse.

Like mkiker said, go during the off-days in the week as early as you can. And if you have a choice between a 2D and 3D show, get the 3D. People are less willing to pay for 3D now if they have the choice, so there's usually less people there.
"Aliens conquering Earth would be fine with me, as long as they make me their queen."
- Gillian Anderson
azul017
City Prosecutor

Postby MovieAddict » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Most frequent annoying behavior I get is the folks sitting behind you who put their feet on the back of you seat and every time they move you get a nice jolt.

I almost got killed when I complained once and a got a nice 8 inch blade flashed in my face.

Suffice to say I don't go to movies often and when I do I don't complain.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Postby tucco » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:29 am

MovieAddict wrote:Most frequent annoying behavior I get is the folks sitting behind you who put their feet on the back of you seat and every time they move you get a nice jolt.

I almost got killed when I complained once and a got a nice 8 inch blade flashed in my face.

Suffice to say I don't go to movies often and when I do I don't complain.

That is disgusting....I know it's easy to say but I would have reported whomever it was right away.

Since there are some movies that I absolutely insist on seeing in the theater, I go during the day, say, on a Tuesday when the kids are at school. That way I can be assured of anywhere from a sparse to almost non-existent crowd.
Having said that, I think I may have taken too many chances telling people to shut up that I have to turn my back on when I turn back around. And help from the theater? Forget it..............but they sure are there to enforce if someone has outside food.
"See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil, have no Fun"
tucco
County Attorney

Postby MovieAddict » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:00 am

tucco wrote:I go during the day, say, on a Tuesday when the kids are at school. That way I can be assured of anywhere from a sparse to almost non-existent crowd.

Exactly what I do - I don't see movies often but when I do its never on a friday or saturday night and its usually 8 weeks into the movies run so there are only 20 people in the theater, easy enough to find your own quiet corner.

Now I've learned over the years to be more diplomatic when 'confronting' the obnoxious. Instead of snarling 'get your effin feet off my seat', I'll say 'I'm sorry but you many not be aware that you are bumping the seat and its hard to concentrate on the movie, thanks.'

One day I'll tell the story of how I almost got killed when out for jogging and someone didn't clean up their dog droppings as I ran by...

As to calling the police, well there are times to do that but other times its just best to turn around and mind your own business.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Return to Movies