If a tree falls in the woods...

We welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions on any of the Verdict sites

If a tree falls in the woods...

Postby Attrage » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm noticing that the Jury Room seems a tad empty these days, and that even most of the regulars don't seem to be posting. Is it the recent spam attacks on the site, or is it just a busy time of year for you guys doing other things?? Even I'm starting to feel not that keen to post anything because I'm struck by the thought that no-one will read it anyway...
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Re: If a tree falls in the woods...

Postby Mach6 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 am

For me, it's a combination of the spam attacks & that I'm working a lot more overtime hours at my job. It seems everybody at my work used up most of their vacation days from October to the end of the year & that means the rest of us have to pick up the slack. It also means I got less time to watch my Blu Rays, DVDs, & TV that I can post about them. The last movie I've seen at the theater was Looper (which I really enjoyed & has one of the better child actor performances in a long time) so I'm only averaging one movie at the theater per month now. I think Skyfall will be my only November movie theater going experience.

The spam attacks played a big role because they help erased nearly 8 (give or take) months of topic threads & posts. I know I'm not the only one who thinks "Why should I post a comment or start a new topic thread, if it's going to be deleted because some idiot needs to make a living by advertising for phony watches & god knows what else?".

BTW, didn't Steve Power mention in one post that him & several other experienced Verdict posters mostly talk about entertainment on Facebook now?
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby mavrach » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:44 am

Yes the bulk of the group is on Facebook. Attrage & Mach6 I think you're part of the few not there with us. Do you use Facebook? Checkin at the DVD Verdict page or friend me (I'm Matt Avrach) or any other regulars who use their real names here, and we'll invite you to the group.

The group was initially started because of the spam attacks, which didn't seem to be going away after a couple weeks. Most of us are friends on Facebook anyway and already talk about movies there, so the next step was taken and they set up a movie group there.

I think a lot of us had the intention of going to both the Facebook group and also the Jury Room. I still check the Jury Room daily but most of the discussion seems to be coming out of Facebook. Not just the group, our own pages as well have a lot of conversations.

I hope the JR does stay alive though. I've been coming here for nearly 10 years now and I'd rather it not be made obsolete by Facebook.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:21 pm

I don't plan on making the change to facebook, but the discussions have dried up. I respond when there are posts, but there are few. I've also noticed that the discussions aren't as deep as they used to be.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Paul Kile » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:31 pm

I have to admit, I do have a Facebook account (it allowed me to find some old friends), but I really have grown to HATE it. My wall is cluttered with a bunch of extraneous stuff, since a niece of mine and an old college buddy are posting all day, every day. When do they ever go to work, I wonder? There is so much crud out there that it is impossible to find things easily. It also seems that Facebook is insidiously worming its way into everything. I walked into my local Toyota dealer to buy some truck parts last week. I looked down at the doormat and it implored me to "Like Us on Facebook"....for the love of God why would I want to do that? Facebook in my mind has become the General Motors of social media, and it is time to run away, quickly.

I am old school. I have a number of discussion forums I frequent, including this one. I know I can get to specific things and areas quickly, without shoveling through a lot of dreck to get there. I know some of my views are a bit divergent from some folks on here (after all, I LIKED Moonraker, for God's sake), but I miss the fun of arguing such points. I do come back for the reviews, at least.
Cheers,
Paul Kile
My collection: http://www.dvdspot.com/member=PaulKile
Paul Kile
City Attorney

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Facebook is ready to fall. Hopefully after the fall it will return to something useful. It needs to learn to be what it started as, an unobtrusive timeline for people to keep up with each other and communicate. Don't extract phone numbers and send them to my Google Account, don't let people tag me in photo's because I may be in the building somewhere, don't keep telling me I should know someone, and most certainly STOP EMAILING me when any of the above happen.

Is anyone else getting spam from their facebook? I get emails with a persons name and it's just links. I know they didn't send it and I hope mine isn't doing it either.

edit--

Moonraker is awesome. It's the James Bond equivalent of Prozac. It just makes people feel good.
-Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089
County Attorney

Postby Attrage » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:15 pm

mavrach wrote:Yes the bulk of the group is on Facebook. Attrage & Mach6 I think you're part of the few not there with us. Do you use Facebook? Checkin at the DVD Verdict page or friend me (I'm Matt Avrach) or any other regulars who use their real names here, and we'll invite you to the group.

The group was initially started because of the spam attacks, which didn't seem to be going away after a couple weeks. Most of us are friends on Facebook anyway and already talk about movies there, so the next step was taken and they set up a movie group there.

I think a lot of us had the intention of going to both the Facebook group and also the Jury Room. I still check the Jury Room daily but most of the discussion seems to be coming out of Facebook. Not just the group, our own pages as well have a lot of conversations.

I hope the JR does stay alive though. I've been coming here for nearly 10 years now and I'd rather it not be made obsolete by Facebook.

Thankyou for letting me know, I did look for Steve on FB but I couldnt find him. I'll look you up tonight (my time) and send you a friend request.
Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small man of limited means who lost a fight with a chicken!
Attrage
City Attorney

Postby Gabriel Girard » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:17 pm

The link for the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/346708228752891/ Discussions there are livelier and more frequent that they were on here even before the spam attacks. I must say I'm responsible fror creating it and signing the JR's death warrant. Like Matt said aa lot of us were already discussing movies and more on Facebook...

I NEVER get any e-mails from facebook because I configured my account that way. alll technology requires some degree of knowledge and tweeking.
Gabriel Girard
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:36 am

Don't forget to introduce yourselves there if you don't use your real name here! There's a thread there from a month or so back where we asked everybody to give their Jury Room usernames.

And yes you can change the settings in Facebook to not spam you with updates. It should be in Account Settings in the upper-right part of the screen. It's never been a problem for me. And Facebook's quirks can be irritating but every time there's a new version people always wish the previous version still existed.

You can also input as little info as you like. Some people I know use a fake last name even. It can be dangerous putting too much there too, because if I wanted to hack your account I could look at your home page and get the answers to those identifying questions, like "what is your mother's maiden name" etc.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:58 am

And this still doesn't mean the JR has to die.

With me and Vargas still here the Watching threads should remain unaffected :lol:
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby Steve T Power » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:43 am

My life has been a chaotic swirling maelstrom of insanity for the last two months or so: new full time job topped, busy fall season with the kids, and topped off by Dad's sudden turn for the worst and passing this past week. I just haven't been around much, Facebook/Jury Room or otherwise, and when I have been it's for minutes at a time...

Keep on posting. Keep the JR alive!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Postby J.M. Vargas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:48 pm

mavrach wrote:And this still doesn't mean the JR has to die.

With me and Vargas still here the Watching threads should remain unaffected :lol:

I'm not on Facebook, I'm anti-social and a technophobe. So yes, it's Jury Room for me or bust. :D
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby MovieAddict » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 pm

J.M. Vargas wrote:
I'm not on Facebook, I'm anti-social and a technophobe. So yes, it's Jury Room for me or bust. :D

I'm with you JM, have grown to despise Facebook but for different reasons, while I'm not anti-social (I have been busy as heck lately but trying to get back to The Verdict at least once a week now) perhaps because I'm a technologic laggard or perhaps I despise there recent censorship of anyone posting things unfriendly to the administrations actions in Benghazi, truly despicable.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Return to Verdict Feedback