Did James Stewart ever play a villain?

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

Did James Stewart ever play a villain?

Postby Polynikes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:16 am

Watching The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Far Country, I suddenly wondered whether James Stewart ever took on the role of a villain or baddie. I haven't Googled it yet. Can anyone think of such a film?
Polynikes
City Attorney

Re: Did James Stewart ever play a villain?

Postby Dan Mancini » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:51 am

I know of at least one movie where he was the villain, but I don't want to say anything because it'll spoil the end.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:42 am

I did Google it and I got a couple of answers. Don't let the techno dob bite, Google is your (evil) friend. ;-)
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Postby Polynikes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Dan Mancini wrote:I know of at least one movie where he was the villain, but I don't want to say anything because it'll spoil the end.

You have me stumped. I am not counting films where he plays an essentially good character with flaws, weaknesses or occasionally succumbing to temptation e.g. Rope or The Far Country. I mean a genuine no-nonsense villainous baddie. Any clues? I am beginning to think it must be one I have not seen rather than a failure of memory on my part. I feel some internet research looming.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance made me ponder how few rivals John Wayne and James Stewart have for "the film stars most likely to be subject to amateur impersonation" award. Jimmy Cagney?
Polynikes
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 am

Don't know if this is the one Dan's referring to, but....After the Thin Man. If it is...SORRY! :o :)
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby cdouglas » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:29 pm

Sure he did. That evil bastard Glenn Miller ruined decades of military musical tradition with his crazy, new-fangled swing numbers.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby Dan Mancini » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:52 pm

hoytereden wrote:Don't know if this is the one Dan's referring to, but....After the Thin Man. If it is...SORRY! :o :)

Ding! Ding! Ding! You are correct, sir.
Dan Mancini
Chief Prosecutor

Return to Movies