Stuart Gordon's Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Join Steve, Jon, Gabriel, and Andrew as they deconstruct a new filmmaker's body of work each and every week, as only high-falootin' Canadians can.

Stuart Gordon's Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Postby Steve T Power » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:09 pm

New episode is here!

I know you all want to praise Space Truckers and Robot Jox!
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states:"Don't start none... won't be none...".
Steve T Power
Judge

Re: Stuart Gordon's Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Postby cdouglas » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Feel pretty unqualified on this one, as I've actually only seen three Gordon flicks: Re-Animator, Edmond and Stuck. Liked all three of them to varying degrees, though. Will give the podcast a listen and see what you guys recommend.
cdouglas
Judge

Postby mavrach » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:17 pm

GOOD: Is there any other choice besides Re-Animator? It sidesteps being just another cheesy horror flick by having a wonderfully dark humor. And most imporantly, is has the awesome hammy performance from Jeffery Combs as Dr. Herbert West.

I've only seen two more of Gordon's movies: Fortress and Robot Jox, both movies that I casually enjoyed when I was a kid but never totally got into. I remember watching 20 minute chunks of these when I browsed channels and landed on HBO.
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby molly1216 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:23 pm

whoa i was just kidding..
that is so weird...
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
molly1216
County Prosecutor

Postby J.M. Vargas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:50 am

Good: Re-Animator (the 1 in a million low-budget horror movie that trascends its limitations and achieves everything it sets to do; the chemistry between Jeffrey Combs and the cast is a thing of beauty to watch)

Bad: From Beyond (Gordon tries to marry his "Re-Animator" playbook with a Cronenberg-like psycho-sexual vibe and stumbles with actors beneath the required skill level -Jeffrey Combs is saddled with the bitch role and can't save the movie- but it's a super fun ride and the production design/gore/monster design is inspired)

Ugly: N/A (but I'm watching "Fortress" later this week, so who knows 8) ).
'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***'
J.M. Vargas
County Prosecutor

Return to They Came From the North