Upcoming DVD Release news, your reviews, your collections, bargain hunting

June '13-What did you buy?

Postby hoytereden » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Blu-ray:
America Lost and Found: The BBS Story
Two-Lane Blacktop
Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures
"You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"-Stan Laurel
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Re: June '13-What did you buy?

Postby Mach6 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:37 pm

I had some coupons & a gift card so I decided to pay Best Buy another visit. I know I’m a cheapskate.

Dredd DVD/Digital Copy/Ultraviolet Combo
Star Trek: First Contact Blu Ray (Only $4.99 after I traded in the old DVD for a $5 off coupon.)
The Thing Blu Ray (The John Carpenter classic with Kurt Russell, not the unnecessary remake from a couple of years ago.)
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:14 pm

Two on Blu:
Jack Reacher
A Good Day to Die Hard
Moe-"Were you scared?" Larry-"No, just apprehensive." Moe-"Apprehensive, that's a pretty big word.What's it mean?" Larry-"That's scared with a college education!"
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:24 pm

Mach6 wrote:The Thing Blu Ray (The John Carpenter classic with Kurt Russell, not the unnecessary remake from a couple of years ago.)

Once I found out it was a prequel to the Carpenter film I gave it a pass and watched. Pretty good at matching up details with the JC film but the CGI was just ok-to-poor and I didn't feel having a Ripley-like heroine was a good fit. I'm trying to remember what happened to her at the end? :? Just like; was it Nauls? in the Carpenter film who just kind of disappeared just prior to the ending? ;-)
hoytereden
County Attorney

Postby mavrach » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:48 am

Django Unchained - Blu Ray tin case
Casa De Mi Padre
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Postby Mach6 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm

hoytereden wrote:
Mach6 wrote:The Thing Blu Ray (The John Carpenter classic with Kurt Russell, not the unnecessary remake from a couple of years ago.)

Once I found out it was a prequel to the Carpenter film I gave it a pass and watched. Pretty good at matching up details with the JC film but the CGI was just ok-to-poor and I didn't feel having a Ripley-like heroine was a good fit. I'm trying to remember what happened to her at the end? :? Just like; was it Nauls? in the Carpenter film who just kind of disappeared just prior to the ending? ;-)

I should’ve meant the unnecessary prequel. I actually did see it a year ago & although it wasn’t the abortion I thought it would be, it was just another mediocre & forgettable horror flick. When I saw the lousy CGI used for one of the “Things” attack on the helicopter, I knew the producers had no clue what they were doing. The only reason I had any interest in it was to see what 21st century practical monster effects they could use & instead they went mostly with the lazy CGI. :(
If I remember correctly, didn’t Mary Elizabeth Winstead’s Ripley character decided just to freeze to death in the tractor? :? I’m too lazy to watch it again.
hoytereden wrote:A Good Day to Die Hard

So Hoytereden, you still bought it despite all the horrible reviews. You were warned! ;-) Is the Extended Cut any better than the lousy version I saw in the theater back in February?
Mach6
City Attorney

Postby hoytereden » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:47 pm

AGDtDH was ok. I bought it as much for my son, who loves all things Die Hard, as I did to see what the fuss was about. It was only $13 bucks at Target so.....eh! I didn't watch the theatrical cut so I'm not sure what was added. What I did read was they dropped the scene where his daughter takes him to the airport. :? Don't you usually add scenes to extended cuts, not drop them. :shock:

On The Thing- I read that they did genuine Spfx to try to match closer to the ones in the Carpenter film but that after test screenings the decision was made (for them) to use CGI instead. Bad decision. :( Some of the earlier Spfx are on YouTube so you can see what was going to be used. :cry:
hoytereden
County Attorney

Return to DVD