The Female Wilhelm Scream?

New or old, regardless of format, we love talking about movies and the people who make them

The Female Wilhelm Scream?

Postby mavrach » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:43 pm

We all know about the famed Wilhelm scream: the stock scream that was reused again and again, especially by George Lucas, and is essentially an in-joke at this point.

I've noticed a similar scream that's used over and over again, but it's a female scream. I'm wondering if this has any significance, or it it just a favorite reusable scream? Watching Heroes Season 1 got me thinking about this; it's the scream that Claire lets out when she's running out of the Homecoming celebration. No other examples really come to mind, but that's mainly because I've heard it used so many times. It's basically three screams in a row by the same woman.

And there's actually a cat version that I always notice too! In a lot of movies, I'll hear the same cat "reeeerrr" over and over again. Like the above female description, the cat scream is also three separate squeals by the same cat. I can understand this one though, since I don't think it's so easy to record a cat screaming without getting fined by the Humane Society.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
+1. this is very interesting.
mavrach
County Attorney

Location: North Jersey, at the end of a one-way dead-end road.

Re: The Female Wilhelm Scream?

Postby Chinese Jet Pilot » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:59 am

Chinese Jet Pilot
City Attorney

Postby Iananan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:47 am

I have been noticing a certain female stock scream for a while now, is this it?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/8365325467b7cc/
Iananan
Law Clerk

Postby mavrach » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:22 pm

Iananan wrote:I have been noticing a certain female stock scream for a while now, is this it?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/8365325467b7cc/

That's the one! Wow I thought this topic was long dead, and clearly nobody had any idea what I was talking about. It's just odd that this particular scream is used so often.
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby nat » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:18 am

Yay! I came onto the net specifically to find a thread addressing this very topic, after having heard that scream AGAIN tonight in 'The Butterfly Effect' - the part when the girl's bro gets stabbed in the back.

Can't believe the scream isn't more well-known. I'm almost positive it originated from the video game, Timesplitters 2 (2002), whereby that scream is heard when one of the girls catches on fire.

SInce then i've heard the scream on 'Heroes', 'We Can be Heroes' (Australian comedy), 'Butterfly Effect' and a bunch of others i can't remember. I've only been hearing its sudden influx of usage in movies/shows over the past 5 years or so. But I honestly can't believe it isn't discussed more on the net since its sound is really distinct.

ps in 'Heroes' it just sounded plain ridiculous. It really didn't belong in there.

EDIT: come to think of it, it was used in a 97 episode of Buffy, called 'The Harvest'. Maybe that's where it originated from.
nat
Law Clerk

Postby Cliffhanger » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:36 am

This scream has driven me insane trying to find its origin. The links provided earlier in this thread don't work for me so I've created a new one. This example of this scream is taken directly from The Green Mile right after the mother of the murdered girls realizes they're missing: http://www.CliffyTX.com/infamous-scream.mp3

Another place it's found: the 0:10 mark in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhjc3AUq1OY

The part following immediately after the snippet I posted above is mirrored here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QL6qE4J2VI

The Green Mile is the most recent (in my memory) to feature this stock scream but highly doubt it is the absolute most recent.

I don't believe that this originated in the video game or 1997 clip mentioned in an above post because I could almost swear I heard it in the 70's. If not then, then very early 80's. It is literally driving me insane trying to find its definitive origin. sigh Talk about bumping an ancient thread, huh?
Gag Gift To Women
Cliffhanger
Law Clerk

Postby lexicawn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:27 pm

This has nagged me for a while, too. The first place I remember hearing this female Wilhelm scream was in one of the Nine Inch Nails remixes on the "Closer" CD, (either the "further away" or the "precursor" remixes) and later in a bunch (a BUNCH) of movie trailers, so it dates back to at least 1994.
lexicawn
Law Clerk

Postby lexicawn » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:31 am

It's also in the "Dawn of the Dead" remake - as Sarah Polley's driving through her neighborhood, one of her female neighbours is being chased and you can hear the scream.
lexicawn
Law Clerk

Postby mavrach » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:47 pm

It's a DOUBLE-zombie topic!!!
mavrach
County Attorney

Postby MovieAddict » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:40 pm

Wow over 1100 views and only 8 posts, is this some kind of record?

Just curious.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis
MovieAddict
City Attorney

Postby drkcaius » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:40 am

I am trying to find another female stock scream. The best example that I can think of off the top of my head would be when The Green Goblin is posing as a woman in the apartment building on fire in Spiderman. Right when he turns around thats the scream i've been trying to fine. It sounds like a high pitched shrieky "hawkaaaaa"" or something. been looking for some info on it for a while. and tips would be helpful...
drkcaius
Law Clerk

Return to Movies