New Video // 2006 // 48 Minutes // Not Rated
Reviewed by Appellate Judge James A. Stewart (Retired) // December 3rd, 2011
"Celtic Angels at Christmas showcases six uniquely talented Celtic Angels."
As I write about Celtic Angels at Christmas, I'm being nudged into the holiday spirit by a radio station that's heavy on the holly. If you can't find Christmas music with a simple turn of your radio dial, you can probably find a stream online. However, some of you may be hankering for a nice old-fashioned TV Christmas special.
Celtic Angels at Christmas was a TV special in Canada, and it's a minimalist one. A few trees and decorative snowflakes adorn the stage; the performers give brief intros for most of the songs, usually featuring one performer. It's nothing fancy, but it does allow the 48-minute show to pack in a lot of music.
It appears that the performers -- Stephanie Hardy, Patricia Murray, Maggie MacInnes, Gillian Boucher, Kendra MacGillivray, and Sabra MacGillivray -- only got together once, for this special.
* "The Holly Bears a Berry" -- Stephanie Hardy
* "The Wexford Carol" -- Patricia Murray
* "Taladh Criosda" -- Maggie MacInnes
* Step Dancing Performance by Sabra MacGillivray
* "Ave Maria" -- Gillian Boucher, instrumental
* "I Wonder as I Wander" -- Stephanie Hardy
* "O Holy Night" -- Kendra MacGillivray
* "Gura Mise Tha Fo Eislean" -- Maggie MacInnes
* "Yuletide Medley: Sir John Fenwick's Waltz, The Lismore Lassies" -- Gillian Boucher, instrumental
* "The Holly and the Ivy" -- Patricia Murray
* "Winter Wonderland" -- Sabra MacGillivray, clogging
* "Laoidh Mhoire Mhaighdgan" -- Maggie MacInnes
* "Silent Night" -- Patricia Murray, Stephanie Hardy, Maggie MacInnes, in English and Gaelic
* "It Came Upon the Midnight Clear" -- Gillian Boucher, instrumental
Most of the music is on the quieter and gentler side, although Stephanie Hardy leans a bit louder and faster. All of it is good. The Dolby Digital stereo isn't spectacular, but does the job nicely.
I will note that although extras are indicated on the DVD cover, there aren't any on the DVD, save for a scene selection that I found insufficient (a song selection would be more helpful).
A few additional tracks might make for a better DVD deal, but Celtic Angels at Christmas is a nice little special for anyone interested in Celtic music or any of the featured performers. If you're looking for something to pop into the DVD player while entertaining at the holidays, it's not a bad choice.
Review content copyright © 2011 James A. Stewart; Site layout and review format copyright © 1998 - 2014 HipClick Designs LLC
Scales of Justice
Studio: New Video
* Full Frame
* Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo (English)
Running Time: 48 Minutes
Release Year: 2006
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
* Stephanie Hardy
* Patricia Murray
* Maggie MacInnes
* Gillian Boucher
* Kendra MacGillivray
* Sabra MacGillivray