Nickelodeon // 2011 // 88 Minutes // Not Rated
Reviewed by Judge David Johnson // August 21st, 2011
Michelle Obama does not approve.
This frozen-treat-themed anthology, Fanboy and Chum Chum: Brain Freeze, finds our heroes enveloped by unbridled lust for the local convenience store's delectable pink slush dessert. Seven episodes worth, no less!
* "Brain Freeze" -- After a Freeze binge, Fanboy and Chum Chum try to piece together what happened the night before. Why does this ring a bell?
* "The Frosty Bus" -- Boog the bully prevents FB and CC from getting a Freeze.
* "Jingle Fever" -- Nice title! FB and CC enter a contest to come up with the new Freeze jingle.
* "Berry Sick" -- FB and CC find themselves being impromptu nursemaids for Berry, a purple monster that operates the Freeze machine.
* "Refill Madness" -- Another great title! A magical cup that allows the owner unlimited Freeze refills is up for grabs.
* "Back from the Future" -- Lenny, another FB and CC antagonist, travels back in time to prevent them from ever tasting a Freeze.
* "Norse-ing Around" -- An unfrozen Viking pals around FB and CC, hoping to find his way to Valhalla.
As you can tell from those brief episode recaps, Fanboy and Chum Chum is pretty kooky...in a good way. For its target audience of diminutive prepubescent viewers, this is an ideal show: fast-moving, hyperactive, attractively animated and actually kinda funny. On the negative side, this disc extols the virtues of filling one's intestines with frozen sugary crap. Eh, whatever.
The DVD: Full frame, 2.0 stereo, and an original animatic of "Brain Freeze."
Not Guilty. Time for a sugar crash.
Review content copyright © 2011 David Johnson; Site layout and review format copyright © 1998 - 2014 HipClick Designs LLC
Scales of Justice
* Full Frame
* Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo (English)
* English (CC)
Running Time: 88 Minutes
Release Year: 2011
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
* Official Site