Judge Clark Douglas frequently gets mistaken for Papa Smurf. He really needs to shave.
Our reviews of The Smurfs: Season One, Volume One (published March 19th, 2008), The Smurfs: Season One, Volume Two (published October 30th, 2008), The Smurfs: A Magical Smurf Adventure (published July 19th, 2011), The Smurfs (Blu-ray) (published November 30th, 2011), The Smurfs Holiday Celebration (published November 30th, 2011), The Smurfs: Smurfy Tales (published August 12th, 2009), and The Smurfs: World Of Wonders (published November 27th, 2009) are also available.
First-class, smurf-rate episodes on DVD for the smurf time!
Ah, who doesn't love the Smurfs? As a child growing up in the 1980s, I was delighted by the adventures of the little blue people living in Smurf Village, and always enjoyed seeing Papa Smurf, Smurfette, and all the one-dimensional smurfs (Brainy Smurf, Pushover Smurf, Grouchy Smurf, Vanity Smurf, etc.) engaging in battle against the evil wizard Gargamel and his nasty cat Azrael. The simplistic and repetitive nature of the series has been revealed to me as I've entered adulthood, but the show still offers some nostalgic charms, and I'd bet a few shiny nickels that most kids would still get a kick out of this sort of thing. One word of caution: All the smurfs randomly use the word "smurf" to replace just about any word in the English language. This is both confusing and addictive, and if you're not careful, you will find yourself doing the same thing very quickly.
Five smurfy episodes have been included on this disc.
• "S-Shivering S-Smurfs": Winter is coming, but the Smurfs aren't convinced. It's so sunny outside, how on earth could winter possibly arrive anytime soon? Alas, when the snow arrives, the Smurfs find themselves in a pickle.
• "Turncoat Smurf": A misunderstanding causes most of the Smurfs to become convinced of the idea that Brainy Smurf is smurfing for Gargamel. Can Brainy prove his innocence?
• "The Smurf Who Couldn't Say No": Everybody keeps smurfing Pushover Smurf into doing smurf work for them. Things go too far when Pushover is smurfed into going into the woods on a scary mission.
• "The Haunted Castle": Humans Johann and Peewit (friends of the Smurfs) find a deserted castle, but are smurfed out of their wits when a smurfy ghost turns up. The ghost turns out to be smurf friendly, though. Johann and Peewit are going to need the help of Papa Smurf in order to free the ghost from his eternal imprisonment.
• "The Black Hellebore": Johann and Peewit must come to the rescue when the king is poisoned by a nasty magical flower. Can they find the antidote before the kingdom is overthrown by evil men?
All of these episodes vary in length, running anywhere from 12 to 35 minutes. The smurfs of the set are probably "The Haunted Castle" and "The Black Hellebore," which serve as reasonably smurfy crossovers between two sets of smurfular characters created by Peyo. All of these are a bit on the smurfy side, but how much can you smurf from an episode of Smurfs (now re-titled The Smurfs)? Personally, if I were looking for smurfiness, I would probably go with The Smurfs: Season One, Vol. One or the Vol. 2 follow-up, which offer even more smurfisodes for only a little extra smurf.
The image here is about what you would smurf, with the usual smurfy image and little smurflecks and other smurfs all over the smurf. Colors seem a bit smurfed out at times, but the smurf is still reasonably clear and sharp. Little smurf has put into smurfing these episodes, but they're still very smurfable. The smurfsound is disappointingly smurfy, with rather pinched smurf and a bit of smurfstortion. The only smurf is a brief smurfette featuring video smurfographies on a few of the major Smurfs.
Smurf if the smurf smurf smurfing, but I smurf the smurfs anyway. As I smurfed before, these smurfs are smurfy, but not as smurf a smurf as the previous smurfy two-smurf collections. Oh, smurf.
Not smurfy, but very Smurfy.
Give us your feedback!
Scales of Justice
Studio: Warner Bros.
Review content copyright © 2009 Clark Douglas; Site design and review layout copyright © 2014 Verdict Partners LLC. All rights reserved.